Order your copy today
The story of Underwood Grove Missionary Baptist Church begins with the 4 elders; Reverend John Thomas Freeman, Reverend John O. Evans, Reverend Thomas Sutton, and Reverend Henry Burrow Poore. Who were these men, these pioneers? We found information on these 4 men through census records, family genealogy, and a few local people who still remember the families of these men. Their story unfolds in the community of Lonesome Valley.
Lonesome Valley was formed by a small community of people who settled there from areas of North Carolina and Virginia. The N. L. Holt General Merchandise Store served most of Claiborne County and in the 1890s, a post office was established in one of the two Holt store buildings and operated as Duo, Tennessee, until 1906. There was grist, flour, and sawmills, and a blacksmith shop. The community had a school, Mayes Elementary School, located near Holt Cave. There was a grist mill on the Lonesome Valley Creek built by Jonathan Mayes who was a millwright and came to Lonesome Valley in the early 1800s.*
* Full text of “Tennessee county history series: Claiborne County / by Edgar A. Holt; https://archive.org/stream/tennesseecountyh13holt/tennesseecountyh13holt_djvu.txt